Director of CGHR
- 'Negotiating violence: Sudan's peacemakers and the war in Dafur', African Affairs, January 2014 113/450, 24–44.
- ‘Climate Change and Human Security in Africa’ in Redclift M and M Grasso (eds), Handbook on Climate Change and Human Security, (Edward Elgar, 2013) (with Liz Watson)
- ‘FrontlineSMS, Mobile-for-Development and the 'long tail' of governance’ in Livingston S and G Walter-Drop (eds) Bits and Atoms: Information and Communication Technology in Areas of Limited Statehood (OUP, 2013)
- ‘Protecting the Right to Life of Journalists: The Need for a Higher Level of Engagement’, Human Rights Quarterly vol 35(2) May 2013 (with Christof Heyns)
- ‘Sudan: The politics of negotiating peace’ in D Curtis & G Dzinesa, Peacebuilding, Power and Politics in Africa (Ohio University Press, 2012)
- ‘A marriage less convenient: China, Sudan and Darfur’ in K Ampiah and S Naidu eds, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? Africa and China (University of KwaZulu Natal Press, 2008)
- ‘A “rising Great Power” embraces Africa: Nigeria-China relations’ chapter in A Adebajo & AR Mustapha eds, Gulliver’s Troubles: Nigeria’s Foreign Policy after the Cold War (University of KwaZulu Natal Press, 2008)
- ‘No Democracy without Justice: Political Freedom in Amartya Sen’s Capability Approach’ Journal of Human Development, Volume 8, Issue 3, 2007, 457-480.