Workshop: People’s Power in the Struggle for Freedom
- Jack DuVall (President, International Centre on Non-Violent Conflict (ICNC))
- Dr. Maciej Bartkowski (ICNC Senior Director)
- Hardy Merriman (ICNC Senior Advisor)
- Professor Howard Barrell (Senior Elcturer, Cardiff School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies)
- Awar Hassan (International Development Specialist)
CGHR was pleased to present a four-day workshop on civil resistance and non-violent conflict with participants from the International Center on Non-Violent Conflict (ICNC). This is event was organised by the Department of Politics and International Studies (POLIS) and the Cambridge International Studies Association (CISA) with CGHR.
This four-day series of workshops and discussions was designed to provide an in-depth and multi-disciplinary perspective on civilian movements and campaigns that defend basic rights, accountability, and justice through non-violent means. We invited participants from academia (both scholars and students), employees of NGOs and relevant policymaking bodies and active members of social movements.
Thematic Sessions included: Costs and Risks in Civil Resistance, Forgotten History of Civil Resistance, Agency of People and their Collection Actions, Transforming Physical Space in Civil Resistance, Media in Civil Resistance, Sustained People’s Nonviolent Mobilization in Egypt, Movement in Action: Strategies, Tactics and Planning, Civil Resistance and a Violent Flank in South Africa, Women and Minorities in Civil Resistance.