In 2011-12, the Centre of Governance and Human Rights conducted research for the UN Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions, Mr. Christof Heyns. Our research pack and analysis report, both produced in March 2012, focus on issues of impunity towards journalist killings, and measures to protect journalists’ right to life. The CGHR report was presented and discussed at.
The external experts convened in the discussion meeting were:
- Prof. Christof Heyns, United Nations Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions
- Mr. Frank La Rue, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression
- Ms. Pansy Tlakula, Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression and Access to Information of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
- Mr. Thomas Unger, Human Rights Advisor, Permanent Mission of Austria to the United Nations Office and specialised institutions in Geneva
- Ms. Sylvie Coudray, UNESCO Chief of Section for Freedom of Expression, Division for Freedom of Expression, Democracy and Peace
- Mr. Joel Simon, Executive Director, Committee to Protect Journalists
- Mr. Rodney Pinder, Director, International News Safety Institute
- Mr. William Horsley, International Director of the Centre for Freedom of the Media and Co-director of the Impunity Initiative, Universities of Sheffield and London
- Ms. Heather Blake, United Kingdom Representative, Reporters Without Borders
- Mr. Orest Nowosad, Chief, Civil and Political Rights Section, Special Procedures Branch, United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Mr. Gus Waschefort, Advisor to the United Nations Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Mr. Christof Heyns
- Ms. Alice Mauske, Consultant, Civil and Political Rights Section, United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Mona Elbahtimy (CGHR Research Coordinator)
- Sarah Elliott (CGHR Research Coordinator)
- Dr Sharath Srinivasan (CGHR Director)
A version of the analysis report is also soon to be published as part of the CGHR Working Paper Series.
The outcomes of the meeting were incorporated into a report made by Mr. Heyns to the Human Rights Council in June 2012 to improve the safety of journalists.