University Lecturer in the Department of Politics and International Studies
- (2012) Peacebuilding, Power and Politics in Africa (co-edited with G Dzinesa), Ohio University Press, 2012. (See link for D. Curtis "Introduction: The Contested Politics of Peacebuilding in Africa")
- (2013) ‘China and the Insecurity of Development in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)’ International Peacekeeping, 20, 5.
- (2013) 'The Limits to Statebuilding for Peace in Africa' South African Journal of International Affairs, 20, 1, (April), pp. 79-97.
- (2013) 'The International Peacebuilding Paradox: Power Sharing and Post-conflict Governance in Burundi,' African Affairs, 112, 446, (January) pp. 72-91.
Recent Book chapters and reports
- (2013) 'Post-conflict peacebuilding', in Nic Cheeseman, David Anderson and Andrea Scheibler (eds), Routledge Handbook of African Politics, London: Routledge.
- (2013) ‘Burundi: Recent History’, in Africa: South of the Sahara 2014, Europa Publications, Routledge.
- (2013) 'The United Nations' (with Paul Taylor), in John Baylis, Steve Smith, Patricia Owens (eds), The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations, (Oxford University Press). Also previous editions in 2010, 2007 and 2004.
- (2010) ‘Complementary Approaches to Peacekeeping? The African Union and United Nations in Burundi’, in H Besada (ed), Crafting an African Security Architecture, Ashgate (with G Nibigirwe)
- (2009) Rebel Movements and Political Party Development in Post-Conflict Societies, Working Paper for the Program on States and Security, 2009 (with Jeroen de Zeeuw)
University Lecturer in Law
Fellow of the Lauterpacht Centre
Fellow, Pembroke College
Complementarity in the Line of Fire: The Catalysing Effect of the International Criminal Court in Uganda and Sudan (Cambridge University Press)
Select Proceedings of the European Society of International Law, 2010, Volume 3 (Ed) (Hart)
"Legal Equality on Trial: Sovereigns and Individuals before the International Criminal Court" 43 Netherlands Yearbook of International Law 2012
"Doing Justice to the Political: The International Criminal Court in Uganda and Sudan" (2010) European Journal of International Law 941-965
"The Responsibility to Protect in Practice: Efforts to Promote Human Rights in Darfur" (2007) 24(65) Merkourios Utrecht Journal of International and European Law 58-70
"Sudan's Divided (and Divisive?) Peace Agreements" (2006) 19 Hague Yearbook of International Law 113-134
"The Special Court for Sierra Leone and the Immunity of Taylor: The Arrest Warrant Case Continued" 18(3) Leiden Journal of International Law 645-669
"The International Criminal Court: A Peacebuilder in Africa?" (Ed) in Devon Curtis and Gwinyayi A. Dzinesa (Ed), Peacebuilding, Power and Politics in Africa (Ohio University Pres), pp. 171-192
"The ICC and Complementarity Post Juba: Between International Imposition and Domestic Diversity" in O.J. Francis and P. Wrange (Ed), The International Criminal Court and the Juba Peace Process or Global Governance and Local Friction (Fountain Press)
"Complementarity in Uganda: Domestic Diversity or International Imposition?" in C. Stahn and M.E. Zeidy (Ed), The International Criminal Court and Complementarity: From Theory to Practice (Cambridge University Press)
Director of CGHR
- 'Negotiating violence: Sudan's peacemakers and the war in Dafur', African Affairs, January 2014 113/450, 24–44.
- ‘Climate Change and Human Security in Africa’ in Redclift M and M Grasso (eds), Handbook on Climate Change and Human Security, (Edward Elgar, 2013) (with Liz Watson)
- ‘FrontlineSMS, Mobile-for-Development and the 'long tail' of governance’ in Livingston S and G Walter-Drop (eds) Bits and Atoms: Information and Communication Technology in Areas of Limited Statehood (OUP, 2013)
- ‘Protecting the Right to Life of Journalists: The Need for a Higher Level of Engagement’, Human Rights Quarterly vol 35(2) May 2013 (with Christof Heyns)
- ‘Sudan: The politics of negotiating peace’ in D Curtis & G Dzinesa, Peacebuilding, Power and Politics in Africa (Ohio University Press, 2012)
- ‘A marriage less convenient: China, Sudan and Darfur’ in K Ampiah and S Naidu eds, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? Africa and China (University of KwaZulu Natal Press, 2008)
- ‘A “rising Great Power” embraces Africa: Nigeria-China relations’ chapter in A Adebajo & AR Mustapha eds, Gulliver’s Troubles: Nigeria’s Foreign Policy after the Cold War (University of KwaZulu Natal Press, 2008)
- ‘No Democracy without Justice: Political Freedom in Amartya Sen’s Capability Approach’ Journal of Human Development, Volume 8, Issue 3, 2007, 457-480.